Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ryan's Scout camp

As the Assistant Scoutmaster for Troop 800 in the Great Salt Lake Council of the Boy Scouts of America I was able to spend a few days at camp with our scouts. It was a lot of fun for me and the boys especially. The camp was well run - we went to the East Fork of the Bear River in the high Uintas - they had merit badge classes in three hour blocks between breakfast and lunch and again between lunch and dinner. Our scouts were excited to get as many merit badges as they could which left the Scoutmaster and I free to do whatever.

I'll probably need to update this post also because I didn't get many pictures, but one morning the Scoutmaster and I took a little hike near the camp. We only went up a mile and back, but in that short trip we saw six moose! It was incredible! After seeing the first moose we felt pretty lucky. But less than a minute later we saw two more and figured they were one little family. We absolutely were not expecting to see any more which is why we nearly ran into the next one head on! We got about thrity yards away before the Scoutmaster stopped dead in his tracks from the moose staring straight at us. Luckily this one ran off instead of charging us but we hadn't moved a few feet before we saw two more just a little farther away. By that time we had completely forgotten about our sore and tired legs from hiking because of the thrill of seeing all those moose on one little walk!

Of the pictures I did take, there was one little deer that kept walking right past our camp every day. It probably wasn't used to seeing anybody in it's territory.



No comments:

Post a Comment